Sunday, June 17, 2012

Career Foundation

Well, just another regular update to my life's happenings although I knew that it's not your business and you don't care, I'm just sharing.

Recently my friend invited me to a work where we will be going to teach English as Second Language (ESL) to Koreans. At first, I was so hesitant because it has a no major connection towards my degree. In short, it's very far from my field of expertise (I haven't thought of that yet actually). I was expecting me to become a food attendant, waiter ,chef, front desk clerk, back-office staff of a hotel, housekeeper, restaurant manager, hotel manager, or anything related to hospitality and tourism industry - but teacher? Yes, but in terms of being a professor or instructor in a Bachelors Degree that involves tourism and hospitality courses when I am about to retire. I was also hesitant because I'm worried what will they think - my colleagues, friends, family, and relatives in choosing a career that is very far to my field of study. But thinking about life, was it necessary to what may others think? 

So I contemplated and now I decided that I'm going to pursue this. Why? Because it will contribute a lot to my well-being and strengthen my career foundation. 

As I mentioned before, I know and full aware that my English is not 100% perfect - both written and oral. Since my career path involves tourism and hospitality industry, I am oblige to use it and be good at it. Before the job, you need to pass the training that it involves accent reduction, accent application (American Accent) and enhancing grammar skills. I find this training a very good opportunity to enhance my vocabulary, grammar skills and even an accent! In exchange, you are require to teach and sign a contract with them if you pass. Sadly, we don't get any training allowance ~ 

When I'm nervous, I begin to stagger. I talked fast as if that I want to finish it quickly to remove the uneasiness. Considering that I'm entering to an atmosphere that I'm not used to, this will be a great start to test and improve my self-confidence since the teaching will involve lots of talking. I will also be working on new set of people I'm not familiar with that has different personalities and probably experienced people. The students will be a different nationality - Koreans particularly.

To sum up all what I've said, these will be one of my career foundation - enhancing my language skills and improving my self-confidence. I'm not rushing to work abroad or competing, I just want to be prepared - intellectually, physically, and emotionally before entering the field that I've chosen. This will be the start of my career.

------------------------------------

I will be busy during the weekdays because of my training and its about 20 days. I also need to sleep early and wake-up early  because my commute takes one hour and a half (sucks, starts at 8:30am but wee need to be there on or before 8:15am). It will be definitely a hard time but as much as possible, I will still try to keep this blog updated and more tutorials will be added!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please use the Name/URL option instead of Anonymous so I can address you properly using your name or code names.
You can also indicate your website so we can check each other out otherwise leave it blank if you don't have any. Feel free to send me an
e-mail
if you have any questions, comments, suggestions, requests, or legal claims.